History at the Savoy Hotel Copenhagen
The Savoy Hotel is housed in the Løvenborg building and is designed by the architect Anton Rosen, who is also known for the Tuborg building in Hellerup and the Palace Hotel at the Town Hall Square (Rådhuspladsen).
The Art Nouveau building was built in 1906 and was renamed as a historical monument in 1985 after an extensive restoration work. The impressive “curtain wall facade”, the first of its kind in Denmark, detail of the building with for example small animal heads on the wall on the inner courtyard, the beautiful lions on the stucco around the elevator and the round windows are all classic Art Nouveau details .
The building was originally the first in Denmark to have an elevator. And today, more than 100 years later, the elevator is still working and can be used by hotel guests.
Anton Rosen was born in Horsens in Jutland in 1859. He was trained bricklayer and came then to Copenhagen at the Copenhagen School of Architecture. He has given his mark to several buildings in Copenhagen, especially the Eagle Pharmacy (Ørneapoteket) in Vestergade, the Palace Hotel and of course Savoy Hotel in the Løvenborg building. He was among others things professor at the Art Academy and received several grants and awards and was appointed Knight of the Dannebrog in 1923.
Anton Rosen died in 1928.
One of other buildings in Copenhagen in the Art Nouveau style is for example Café Norden on the main street (Strøget).